This trip is supported by Ong Foundation in a bid to increase awareness of Ong Teng Cheong (OTC) Peak and Ong Siew May (OSM) Peak.
29th July 2005
David Lim, Wilfred Tok, Mohd Rozani Maarof and Shani Tan, went on an expedition in the Tian Shan Region, and scaled this peak. They named it after Mr Ong Teng Cheong who supported Singapore’s first Everest Expedition in 1995 when he was President. He had worked behind the scenes to support the Everest Expedition and provided the team with resources to achieve their dream.
Mr Ong Tze Boon, younger son of the late President, attempted to climbing the mountain with Lim Kim Boon with the data obtained from David Lim. They also named an adjacent peak OSM peak in memory of Mr Ong Teng Cheong’s wife.
Ong Teng Cheong (OTC) was first recognised by the Mountaineering and Sport Climbing Federation of Kazakhstan on 28th June 2017.
NUS and SUTD team embark on two separate trips to Kazakhstan.
- Group Executive Chairman of Ong&Ong
- 7 Marathons in 7 Continents in 7 days
- SUTD Board of Directors
- Singapore Mountaineering Federation Trainer and Assessor
- Trainer for NUS Centennial Everest Expedition 2005 & manager for the First Singapore Woman’s Everest Expedition in 2009
- Ice-Climbing Instructor with the Chinese Mountaineering Association
- Pioneering rock climbing instructor and assessor in Singapore
- Initial batch of trainers during MIR’s beginning
- Ex-OBS instructor, Founder of Incredible Journeys
- Part of the First Singapore Everest Expedition
- First two South East Asians to summit an 8000m peak without Sherpa, pre-fixed ropes and without oxygen during the Xixabangma Expedition 2002
- One of the Founders of the MIR program
- Summit of K2
- First Kazak alpinist to conquer Everest and President of the Kazakh Mountaineering and Climbing Federation
- Kan Tengri Expeditions
- Snow Leopard Award
The first batch from MIR embarked on this trip in August 2017. They were led by Mr Kim Boon, Mr Edwin Siew and Saken our local Kazakhstani guide. The company that was engaged to provide the logistics was Kan Tengri Expeditions. It is run by Kazbek Valiyev who’s legends are aplenty.